I gathered several Thai Coconut Soup recipes from around the internet. Combined them and then added my own twist. Most recipes called for some specialty items which can be hard to find unless you go to your local asian market so I substituted with items which you can find at your local grocery store. I use Agave Nectar as my sweetener because it has a lower glycemic index than processed sugar and tastes sweeter so you have to use less of it. Coconut oil is a great alternative to vegetable or canola oil, especially in this recipe! You can find this at The Fresh Market or Whole Foods. [framed_box]
[button size=”small” align=”left” link=”http://newsouthfoodcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Thai-Coconut-Soup-with-Chicken-and-Shrimp.pdf”]Print Version[/button]
- 1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken, 2 individual breasts or 1 whole breast
- 5 cups chicken stock, organic and low sodium
- 1 stalk lemon grass, white part only, cracked open with the flat side of a knife Or use 1 Tbs of Lemon Grass Paste
- 1 Lime Zest, zest with a Micro-Plane or cheese grater. No white only green parts
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced. Can sub. 1/4 tsp of ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp. Sambal chili Paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (13-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tsp teaspoons Agave Nectar. (can sub sugar)
- 3.5 ounces Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 limes, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 Shrimp, 41/50’s peel and devein (41/50 are the number of shrimp per pound in a bag. You will see this listed on the packaging)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil, can sub light olive oil, Vegetable or canola
- 1 small Yellow Onion, sliced thin
- 1 Avocado, sliced
1.Place the chicken breasts in a pan and cover with water just till chicken is submerged. Simmer on low for 30-45 minutes while you prepare the rest of the soup. Remove chicken and slice/shred with a knife.
2.Bring the stock to the boil over medium heat in a soup pot. Add the lemon grass, lime zest, ginger, chilies, and garlic. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and gently simmer for 10 minutes to let the spices infuse the broth.
3.Add coconut or other oil to pan and sauté bell pepper and onion for 5 minutes. Add to soup.
4.Uncover and stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, mushrooms, lime juice, and shredded chicken. Add thawed shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes to heat the chicken and shrimp through; season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with cilantro and Avocado slices.
5.Cook Time: 1 hour